Wednesday, May 19, 2010

Steak Sandwiches

Steak Sandwiches? What the heck? I'm a vegetarian! Oh, well. I'll find something else to eat. My son saw this recipe in the Pioneer Woman Cookbook and wanted to make it. Who am I to deprive a little carnivore? We didn't have any Worcestershire sauce and he didn't want any of Frank's Red Hot. Actually, he did at first, but then chickened out at the last minute. What I'm trying to say here is our version is a loose translation of Ree Drummond's version. Let's get on with it, shall we?


First you slice an onion. I was told the goggles were for the deadly onion fumes. I'm not sure what the fatigues were for. It may have something to do with the fact that we are currently getting a free preview of the Military Channel this month, but I'm not sure. WATCH THOSE FINGERS, SOLDIER!


Add a 1/4 stick of butter to a skillet and melt over medium-low heat.


Add your onion to the pan and caramelize them. Stirring occasionally.


While you are waiting for the onion to caramelize, go ahead and slice up some cubed steak into 1 inch strips. I think I need to buy a cutting board specifically for meat, because I refused to let my son cut his meat on my veggie cutting board. Sorry, ain't gonna happen. WATCH THOSE FINGERS, SOLDIER!


Don't forget the onion! You don't want those babies to burn, just caramelize. When the onions are a nice golden-brown color, remove them from the skillet and set aside for a minute.


Back to the steak. Sprinkle it with seasoning. We used seasoning salt, lemon pepper, and black pepper.


Add a couple of tablespoons of butter to the skillet.


Add your strips of steak to the skillet and cook until nice and brown.


Add the onions back into the skillet and warm them back up.


Next, slice yourself a roll. WATCH THOSE FINGERS, SOLDIER! Yeah, he got tired of me doing that too.


Now, butter that roll. Lots of butter in this recipe.


Toast the bread in a skillet, on a griddle, or in the toaster oven as we did.


After your bread is toasted, spoon on the steak and onions. You can add cheese if it suits you. My son wanted it plain.


The verdict: Messy and delicious!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Looks yummy! Glad to see the fingers still intact.

Marti said...

Yeah. Me too. I was pretty jumpy.