Saturday, June 12, 2010

Pizza. Pizza.

Okay, here's an easy one. Pizza. I want to teach my son how to cook, so that when he moves out on his own he won't starve. I realize that pizza is something you can have delivered right to your front doorstep. However, I know what it's like to be a poor college student trying to survive from one financial aid disbursement to the next. Believe me. I know. Ordering pizza can be quite expensive, so it's good to know how to make your own pizza creation. It usually tastes better than delivery, and it sure as heck tastes better than frozen. So, let's make pizza.

I usually make my own pizza crust from scratch, but my oldest sister fixed a pizza for me not too long ago utilizing Jiffy pizza crust mix and it tasted great. It also only costs $.59. Can't beat that for a poor college kid. I mean come on. That's right up there with Ramen noodles.


For this pizza we are going half and half. My son wanted BBQ chicken pizza and I wanted just a simple basil and cheese pizza. For the BBQ chicken half of the pizza, you need to cut up boneless, skinless chicken breasts into 1 inch cubes and cook them in a skillet over medium heat until no longer pink and the juices run clear. Then set aside while you make the crust.


Put the Jiffy pizza crust mix in a bowl with water and knead the resulting dough. Let the dough rise in a covered bowl in a warm place for 5 minutes.


After the dough has risen, place it on a pizza pan or cookie sheet and spread it out across the pan using your fingers. You may want to lightly spray the pan with cooking spray, although that sometimes makes it difficult to spread out the dough. Prebake the crust in a 400 degree oven for about 3 to 4 minutes.


Next spread BBQ sauce (We used Billy Sims BBQ sauce, because there is nothing better) over one half of the pizza.


Then spread tomato pizza sauce over the other half. You can use homemade sauce or sauce from a jar like we did.


Spread shredded chicken over the BBQ side and torn basil leaves over the tomato side.


Top with shredded mozzarella cheese and bake in a 400 degree oven for about ten minutes.


Let it cool for at least five minutes before you slice it.

We also made blueberry cobbler, but my camera battery died without warning while we were in the middle of the process.


I was only able to get this picture of my son buttering the bottom of the pan.


And this picture of my son melting butter in the microwave.

You will just have to use your imagination now.....................and through the miracle of the Internet, we have.....


A delicious blueberry cobbler with vanilla ice cream on the side.


It is recommended that after eating pizza, cobbler and ice cream that you go on a bike ride.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Yea! Cheap pizza crust is a great thing. I'll have to try the BBQ chicken one, my boys would love that. The cobbler is making me hungry, it looks delicious! Bike ride with the cows....no thanks.